Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The NEW SONDHEIM MUSICAL formerly known as Wise Guys-Gold-Bounce

I'm home from the first preview of Wise Guys... I mean Gold... I mean Bounce... oh right, I mean Road Show, the new Sondheim-Weidman musical. I hate to say because it's been kicking around for so many decades that it's probably futile at this point, but it needs work. It's not as bad as I feared, but neither is it as good as I was hoping. The main problem, I think, is that the lives of the Mizner brothers were a bit too action packed to make one cohesive musical. They were involved in wacky scheme after wacky scheme, and it's like no one wanted to cut any of the story, and so we end up with these long montage songs that pack a whole bunch of these schemes into one neat package. Which is fine, except they all just seem to get glossed over, and rather than getting the audience excited about how they did all of these things, it becomes more menotinous and boring, and I found I sort of stopped caring. Things finally settle down when the brothers get to Florida, and a real story starts to form, but at that point it was really too late. I wish they could have focused on just that part of their lives. The entire life story of the brothers could probably fill a dozen musicals - but we don't need a dozen, we need one. Apparently when the show was called Bounce, the first act was made up of the bulk of the crazy schemes, and the second act was Florida. And maybe a musical just about the Mizners in Florida would be just as dull. Apparently when the show was Bounce, the entire second act was about Florida. Now the show has been cut down to around an hour and forty-five minutes without intermission, and it's all just one fairly unfocused big mish-mosh.
Musically, the show isn't Sondheim's finest work. The song everyone will leave humming (I assume) is the song formerly known as Bounce, which has been given an entirely new set of lyrics - leaving us humming both because it's a very reptitive melody, and because it's repeated umpteen times throughout the show, between it's time served as both opening and closing number. Other than that, there's the song that sounds an awful lot like something from Assassins, there's some generic Sondheim-y sounding filler music, and there are couple of songs that actually do seem like standouts - there's a ballad the mother, and the last few songs in the show (heated stuff between the brothers), that I'd think would be worth at least a couple more listens again. Hopefully this version be recorded (and I imagine since it's a mostly new Sondheim score - mostly new since we already have a recording of the version called Bounce), I'd think some record label would jump at the chance just because. I know I'd buy it anyway.
Visually, the show definitely looks like a John Doyle musical (he also did the scenic design). No, the actors don't play musical intruments, but they all wear very pale make-up (like in Sweeney), the sparse set is made up of piles of drawers and trunks (meaning furniture, not clothing) and chests, and the actors are all, I'm pretty sure, on stage the entire time, watching the action (in fairly unattractive suits and dresses with architectural drawings on them).
That all said, I can't really say I was ever terribly bored during the show. Maybe it was just that it just kept up my excitement level because I kept hoping it would get better. And it does 'get better,' near the end of the show, when just when you didn't think it ever would, things finally do actually come together in as close to an emotionally satisfying ending as they could muster. This is probably the sort of show that if written by anyone other than his royal highness Stephen Sondheim, would be fairly quickly forgotten. But because it's HRH Sondheim, I, and I imagine most everyone else, will look for any small positive to cling to, because let's face it, this is a show that every musical theatre lover is rooting for. I'm going back at the end of previews to see this again, and I hope it improves. And you know, I suppose an okay show from Sondheim is probably better than a very good show from anyone else, but let's hope the 'wise guys' who are working on this show can 'bounce' back and 'strike gold' with this material. My fingers remain firmly crossed.

(And as a side note, imagine if Road Show, Minsky's and The Visit all made it to Broadway this season - we could have Sondheim, Charles Strouse and John Kander all competing for the Tony for best score. A boy can dream, can't he?)

I saw what feels like around four zillion other shows the past week or so (Equus, Steamers, The Language of Trees, Boys' Life, Farragut North, The Marvelous Wonderettes, Saturn Returns), but I think those will have to wait until my next entry, because I've gone on far too long.

EDIT (10/28/08, 10:14).
One more thing I forgot to mention about Road Show. Doyle has the characters throw piles of money in the air quite a lot. To the point where people in the front row probably could have used umbrellas. Every time another character would throw some more in the air, I couldn't help but chuckle as I watched the bills fall on the heads or laps or shoulders of audience members. A completely pointless anecdote, so I'm not sure why I felt the need to add it. But there you go.