Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Insipid Poetry

You would think that with a musical with a title like "Romantic Poetry," Manhattan Theatre Club might have programmed the show to run around February so it open near Valentine's Day. And yet, surprisingly enough after having seen the musical in its current incarnation, October seems an extremely appropriate month for the show, because it turns out the musical is so horrifyingly bad, that it will likely rival many a haunted house for most frightening theatrical presentation of the Halloween season. A new musical by John Patrick Shanley and Henry Krieger - sounds good on paper, no? Well it turns out that those two were playing a little game of Trick or Treat with their audience, and instead of the expected treat, this is most definitely a trick. What makes the trick so very upsetting - to me anyway - is that I saw "Romantic Poetry" when it played at New York Stage & Film in the summer of 2007, and found it to be rather charming. I remember thinking to myself that it would make a cute and pleasant off-Broadway show. In that version, the show was made up of (if I'm recalling correctly) three separate short romantic musicals, with plots that somehow came together into a nice neat little bow at the end. Just to confirm that I'm not totally loony, I pulled out my program from that production, and based on the groupings in the song list, there seem to definitely be three separate sets of characters, whose songs do not overlap until the final scene. I'lll add, that comparing just the songs lists themselves, the songs seem to mostly different from the last production as well. From my memory of the 2007 production, it seems like Shanley took the characters from the second and third stories, and just shoehorned the characters from the first into the arcs of the now cut ones. So instead of have three separate set of characters, they just magically transform from one to the other, keeping the same names and story baggage. I'm sure I'm not explaining my point as well as I'd like, but let's say as little sense as that explanation made, is also as little sense as the newly reworked story makes. It's just a travesty.
Also worsened since the 2007 production is the set. Which is to say that the earlier production had a set, and this one... well doesn't. The set in this production looks makes the show look like something you'd expect to see on a prison barge... I mean cruise ship, or maybe onstage at the Goodman Theatre where Turn of the Century is playing, since they are similar in their minimalist ugliness, making do with minimal props, a couple of curtains, and a piano.
What else... the less said about the "poetry" of the title the better, because Shanley's lyrics are almost painfully bad. I would suggest not listening to the lyrics and just listening to the pretty melodies, except the melodies aren't much to listen to either. We get a stick to your brain title song, but that's about it.
The actors all try hard, I guess, but it's really a lost cause.
When "Romantic Poetry" was announced as part of the MTC season, I was really excited to see it. Even when it received unanimous pans in today's papers/websites I thought maybe the critics just were trying to take it too seriously. Well, they were all right. I almost fled at intermission, but not knowing that we were no longer getting three separate stories, I figured the second act would be totally different, and maybe better. It was actually worse. After about ten minutes of the second act, when I realized things weren't improving I was tempted to just get up and leave. Ah, if only I'd had an aisle seat. Instead I was trapped for a second hour of ghastly drivel. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this show. It may sound good on paper, it may have been good when produced up at NYS&F, but it is not worth suffering through in this production. Disappointing doesn't begin to describe the experience.