Monday, October 13, 2008

Chicago: They Do Things They Don't Do On Broadway

Hello from warm and sunny Chicago. Who’d have thunk there’d be a random heat wave for the three days I’m here (80 degrees in October?). According to the weatherperson temps will go back down to normal (around 60) when the rain comes on Tuesday - aka the day I leave for home. Aw shucks. Anyway, I’m not going to bore you with the details of the nitty and gritty of what I’ve done since I’m here, but I will bore you with some thoughts on the four show I’ve seen since over the last two days (only thing left is “The Pearl Fishers” at the Lyric Opera which I know no one cares about anyway).

TURN OF THE CENTURY. The new jukebox musical with a book by Marshall Brickman and Rick Elice (the guys who wrote Jersey Boys) and directed by the one and only Tommy Tune. And it stars Jeff Daniels and Rachel York. Well, it sounded good on paper anyway. After seeing the show, I’d nickname is “TURN on a Dime” because boy oh boy does it look cheap. I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but when I think Tommy Tune musical, I think big spectacle with big fabulous dance numbers. And this, well, is neither of those things. All I kept thinking while watching it was “Where’s the set?” For most of the show, the stage is pretty much completely bare with the exception of a piano, and every now and then maybe a curtain or a chaise or a table and some chairs. All of the “scenery” is created through projections - but not projections like say “The Woman in White” where it looks like we’re watching a supersized video game, circa 1990 - not this is more like three large windows for an office, or one small one for an apartment (one small window projected in a random spot high up on a huge otherwise blank wall - ooh boy). Maybe if the choreography had been more exciting, then the big dances could have filled the stage. Alas, no. Tune handed over the choreography duties to Noah Racey (best known for starring in “Never Gonna Dance“ on Broadway), who does not impress in his first big job in the role. The dancing all looks like lame ripoffs of stuff we’ve seen before. Presenting dances inspired by those of the period is one thing, but they need something to make them seem new and special and to make them pop. The songs are all ones we’ve heard many times before, but they’re given fresh new takes by the arranger, and that makes what could have been stale, sort of exciting and new. Speaking of stale, did I mention the Rickman and Elice’s book yet? The premise is that a pianist (who knows every melody every written) and a singer (who knows every lyric every written) are magically taken back in time (the reason for this is never really explained) from December 31, 1999 to December 31, 1899. They soon realize that all of the great songs they know - by the likes of Gershwin and Porter and Rodgers and Berlin - haven’t been written yet, so they can pass them off as their own and become rich and famous. Sounds like a decent enough concept. Unfortunately, once we get past the initial rise to fame and the resulting amusing medley of re-imagined famous songs (which I’m guessing takes a half hour or so - I couldn’t see my watch well enough in the dark), the next hour and a quarter are something of a stretch. There are a few amusing one liners, but as anyone who sat through Young Frankenstein: The Muscial will tell you, a bunch of one-liners do not an interesting musical make. Jeff Daniels and Rachel York are both fabulous, though I can’t say I really saw any sparks between them, considering we’re supposed to assume they’re going to eventually end up together. Enough dwelling on the negative. What was good? Well, the costumes are quite nice - maybe that’s where the budget went. And as I mentioned before, pretty much anytime there’s a song being sung, the show manages to be pretty entertaining - though I did keep imagining that if they just cut the entire book, the show would do quite well on the cruise ship circuit. There are I think two new songs in the show by Maury Yeston. One was a dreadful song sung I think in orange-face (I couldn’t tell if the actor had a bad fake tan, or they didn’t want to offend with blackface, so they made him orange), and the other is a typical Yeston ballad - perhaps not his finest work, but definitely distinctly his. So obviously this show needs a lot of work before it can even think of trying to come to New York. I have to say at this point I’m rather skeptical that it will ever come, but a major overhaul is definitely in order. Yes, that’s what out of town tryouts are for. So I guess we’ll see what happens.

EDWARD II. This was the last show I booked - and it was between this and the American premiere of “Dirty Dancing: Live on Stage.” I ended up choosing “Edward II” partly because I was intrigued that it was going to use ‘promenade staging’ (where there is no “stage” and there are no “seats” - the actors and audience all stand together on the set, and we watch as everything happens literally inches from us) and because it had a slightly higher profile than usual thanks to Jeffrey Carlson (of “The Goat,” “Taboo,” and a bunch of other major shows in NY) in the title role. Anyway, it turned out to be a good decision. The promenade staging seemed sort of in between a regular modern dress staging and something like Punchdrunk’s “Faust” in London where the audience wanders from room to room in a warehouse, hoping to catch enough scenes to be able to follow the story. Here, everything happens in one room, so there’s no chance of missing any of the story. Obviously Christopher Marlowe can be boring and dry in a traditional staging, but here director Sean Graney really managed to find a way to make Marlowe once again easily accessible and relevant and exciting. The play is apparently normally three hours long, but here (so the audience doesn’t keel over from exhaustion from standing for so long), it’s cut to 75 minutes. Which was really just the right length. The acting fabulous all around. I mean, when you have to act with audience members standing all around you, some literally inches away, there is really nowhere to hide. Any falseness will be immediately obvious. This is the sort of exciting and avant-garde theatre that’s missing from the NY theatre scene. Hopefully Graney will eventually be plucked by one of the more daring off or off-off-Broadway companies, so we can see this sort of stuff closer to home.

MANON. If this was playing at the Met, I would probably go see every performance. This is just absolutely spectacular. Natalie Dessay played the title role to perfection, and Jonas Kaufman was a marvelous Des Grieux - the acting, the chemistry, the singing - it just doesn’t get any better than this. I had somehow managed never to see this opera before (I checked and the Met last did it in 2005-06, with *cringe* Renee Fleming and before that in 2000/2001 with Ruth Ann Swenson), so I guess it just fell through the cracks in my schedule. Having seen the Puccini version of the opera last season (including that comically long death scene in the desert of Louisiana), there’s really no comparison with the beautiful, heartbreaking - but also quite funny - Massenet version. I can’t remember the last time I went to an opera where I didn’t know any of the music beforehand and actually left humming. Even the staging was magnificent. It’s a sort of a cross between a modern and a traditional staging - the actors all wear period costumes, but there’s a sort of an amphitheatre set up on stage, where at various times the chorus watches the action and boos the villain (when comically appropriate) or laughs at the comedy, etc. Yes, it’s a bit bare bones - there aren’t too many set pieces - just chairs or tables or a bathtub or a desk, but it was always enough to tell us where we were in each scenes, and unlike in “Turn of the Century,” the stage never felt bare or under-furnished or -financed. There were even inspired touches in the staging like having the chorus dance along with the overture. Not that there’s anything wrong with an overture sans visuals, but I’ll admit my mind has been known to wander during them. Not this time. The only flaw I found - and it was such a minor one - was that the random ballet thrown into the third act (to comply with the conventions at the time the opera was written, I gather), was kind of dull. But tis only a minor quibble. The acting and the singing were just so breathtaking and real, it was really overwhelming. Obviously neither Dessay nor Kaufmann is a teenager as the characters they play are, but they really managed to convey the appropriate innocence that that age would have given them. I can only hope and pray that Peter Gelb will get Dessay to do this in New York. According to the Met Futures page, the opera isn’t scheduled to return to the Met until 2011-12 season, and then in a new production with Anna Netrebko. Maybe Trebs can get pregnant around then, so she can be replaced in the roster by Dessay. That would be a doubly happy occasion, no? In the meanwhile, I’m going to order the dvd of this production when I get home (with Dessay and Rolando Villazon). I’m skeptical of dvds or opera, and whether Villazon could be as good as Kaufmann, but any chance to have a visual of Dessay doing the role can’t be bad. As soon as I got home from the opera on Saturday night, I downloaded a recording of (a different production) of the opera, which I’m listening to right now. Ah, bliss. This is definitely one of my new favorites.

KAFKA ON THE SHORE. The obligatory Steppenwolf production of the stay. I bought and read the book after I booked my ticket to see the play (highly recommended, by the way), and then I read the reviews. And they basically seemed to say that if you haven’t read the book, you’ll have no idea what’s going on. But if you have read it, well the play isn’t as good as the book. And I suspect both were true, leaving a sort of catch 22. As with any stage adaptation of a novel, there were huge chunks of the story cut out - including much of the character development. There were parts that worked (the parts where they sing the song “Kafka on the Shore” were particularly moving), but overall, I can’t say I was thrilled. Particularly uninspired was the costuming of the talking cats - they were going for the simple approach (as opposed to the relative realism in the musical “Cats”) - but I could imagine it being sometime confusing figuring out whether a cat or a human was speaking - to those who had not read the novel. And having the cats just dressed in what looked like ordinary street clothes, with the actors trying to give the characters more cat-like qualities via their physical and vocal inflections - while perhaps of some artistic merit, wasn’t all that effective, and seemed a bit… tacky. The staging was otherwise quite nice. The entire stage and set was painted blue, and there were various panels that would rise or split apart to give us the various scenes. Not necessarily the most inspired staging I’ve seen, but not offensive either. The whole thing was adapted and directed by Frank Galati (director of everyone but the NY Times’ favorite musical “The Visit,” along with “The Pirate Queen”and “Ragtime” on Broadway). Oh, I should mention that Francis Guinan was a highlight in the roles of Johnny Walker (in the first act) and Colonel Sanders (in the second). He seemed to be having quite a good time. The other acting was very good as well, but his scenes were definite highlights.

Okay, c’est tout for now.