Tuesday, September 25, 2007

M&M Awakening

I went to see "Spring Awakening" tonight. For the 13th time. I hadn't been since June, but the show is still in good shape. There were three non-original cast members in tonight (two official replacements, and one understudy). None were in particularly large roles, and while they took a while to get used to, they all did a fine job. Oh, and I spotted Michael Arden in the audience. *Start of sarcasm* Since he couldn't have just been going to see the show because he wanted to see it, I hearby start the (totally unfounded) rumor that he will take over when Jonathan Groff leaves the show. *end of sarcasm*

On my to the subway after the show, I stopped off at the Hershey store to see if they had any interesting new limited edition treats... because I love finding new candy. Nothing worth buying, so I headed over the M&M store and hit the mother load: five new limited edition flavors, unfortunately priced to put a big dent in my wallet at 1 bag for $6 or 3 for $15. So of course I bought six bags: two of the Mint Crisp (because I heart mint), then one each of the others.

In order of preference (from best to least best - because there was no "worst"), the flavors were:

MINT CRISP - Mmm... Chocolate mint with a crunch. These basically taste like those shiny, brightly colored balls of mint-chocolate you sometimes get when leaving restaurants. Except these have a delightful "crisp center" - so they have a nice added crunch. I'm not sorry I bought two bags of them.

CHERRY ALMONDINE - I'm a sucker for all things artifically cherry flavored. So these are almonds, wrapped in cherry flavored white chocolate. The almond and the cherry flavors make a slightly strange flavor combination at first, but then the artificial cherry goodness wins out on my tongue and I'm happy.

CREME D'ORANGE - Just oversized M&Ms with orange flavoring - well, technically milk chocolate surrounded by orange flavored white chocolate coating. Oh dear, these were originally in last place because when I first tasted them I thought they had a weird aftertaste. I've since changed my mind and so here they are at three. Orange M&Ms. Yum.

VANILLA CRISP - Another crispy one. Vanilla flavored milk chocolate wrapped around a crispy center. Sweet and vanilla and crunchy. The vanilla flavor seems maybe a little yogurty, in that these kind of remind me a little of yogurt covered raisins (which I admittedly haven't eaten in years because I hate raisins). Also very sweet, but easy to eat.

CAFE MOCHACCINO - Basically just coffee flavored over-sized M&Ms. I was expecting these to be sort of like chocolate espresso beans, but the coffee flavor is a bit sweet and a bit more artificial tasting. Still pretty yummy thought.

Okay, after tasting those five bags of M&Ms, I'm now sugared out for the night.

I don't know that I'd run back to buy more of these, considering the price, but if they were on sale I might consider them. I read on various candy blogs that Mars is going to be releasing the mint crisp M&Ms as a tie-in with the new Indiana Jones movie, so maybe when that happens I'll be able to buy more for less.

Now the big question is whether I keep these all to myself or I bring them to work tomorrow. I think I'm going to keep them all to myself. Bwahaha.

I just ate one last mint one to cleanse my palate after that last orange one, and that's it for the night, lest I get sick.