Sunday, September 23, 2007

From the Ridiculous to the Sublime

As an offer of the proof that the quality of theatre is always a crapshoot: Look at the RSC's two productions currently running at BAM. Same director, same cast, two classic plays. One is misguided snooze, the other is a beg, borrow, cheat, steal, sell your first born for a ticket piece of brilliant theatre. The former is the "Seagull" that I previously talked about, the latter is the fab-fab-fab-fab-fabulous "King Lear" starring Ian McKellen. This is my fourth "King Lear" in three years or so (and if the play could take a break for a decade or two, I wouldn't complain) but it was by far the finest. There was not a weak link in the cast, and McKellen is... well, spectacular in the title role. I'm assuming "The Seagull" was an afterthought after "Lear" was cast, considering how perfect everyone was in their "Lear" roles and how imperfect most everyone was in their "Seagull" roles. Trevor Nunn does make some interesting choices that would probably bother Shakespeare purists (like a certain character receiving a hanging that may or may not be scripted, and the much publicized gratuitous(?) nudity from McKellen), but I am most certainly not a purist, and I loved every aspect of the staging. I am certainly one to take issue with shows that overstay their welcome (I recently saw "Stick Fly" at the McCarter and what might have made an enjoyable 90 minute play was stretched out to 2.5 long hours), though this ran close to four hours long, it was a pleasure to watch.
I don't know - I don't have anything critical to say here. The whole run is sold out and it looked like the cancellation line was starting early, but if you have the time to try for a ticket (I think it runs through Sept 30 at BAM, and before heading on to Minneapolis, LA and London), I think it's well worth your time.

Tomorrow is opening night at the Met. It's "Lucia" directed by Mary Zimmerman and starring Natalie Dessay. I have high hopes. Oh, and that reminds me - I'd better throw my "opera glasses" (aka binoculars) in my bag so I don't forget them tomorrow.