Thursday, September 18, 2008

RENT - the way it was meant to be filmed

As we've all witnessed time and time again, it's not easy to turn a stage musical into a successful film. A few years ago, Christopher Columbus made a pathetic attempt to turn "Rent" into a movie, and as anyone who saw it can attest to, was none too successful. In what seems to be a mea culpa on the part of Sony Pictures, we are getting - for four screenings only (Sept 24, 25, 27, 28) - "Rent: Filmed Live On Broadway," a film of the final performance of "Rent" on Broadway. I was invited to a screening of the new movie tonight at the Sony Screening Room, and let me say that Rentheads can all breathe a sigh of relief, because this new "Rent" wonderfully captures the spirit and energy of the stage musical. I could quibble about the times when I wished the camera would just keep still and not cut to a different angle every four seconds, or about how Will Chase struck me as a bit too old (and heavily made up) for Roger, or how well... they don't live up to my memories of the original cast. But those are really just minor faults. Considering how awful Broadway shows usually come across live on those Live From Lincoln Center and Great Performances small screen airings, this was a most pleasant surprise. The movie runs around 2 1/2 hours, including a ten minute intermission to rest your brain and relieve your bowels. If you are anything like me and were too lazy (and/or afraid) to see "Rent" one last time on Broadway, this "special event" movie is well worth seeing. I have to say I've been rather skeptical of this new fad of showing live theatre at the movies, and to be perfectly honest I doubt I would have bothered to see this otherwise, but having sat through it, I'll say I do think it is definitely worth bothering with. And think of it this way - if these screenings do well, that will likely tell Sony that the moviegoing public wants more Broadway at the movies. Any excuse to document a Broadway show for future generations makes me happy. Did I mentioned my fingers were crossed that this would eventually be released on dvd?