Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Great Play Lurking In The "Shadows"

This afternoon, when trying to decide whether to see anything tonight, I was going back and forth in my head as to whether I should see "King of Shadows." On the plus side, it's by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, a young playwright whose work I've enjoyed keeping my eye on. Of the plays of his I've seen, I've liked "The Mystery Plays," "Good Boys and True," "Based on a Totally True Story," and "Bloody Mary," (especially those last two), and only really disliked "Dark Matters." On the minus, it's being presented at Theatre for a New City, which being the theatre snob I am, is not what I would call a desirable venue (it being not near the subway, and not having - in recent years anyway - produced anything high profile enough to reach my radar). Also, after suffering through the terrible "Dark Matters" at the Rattlestick, my theatre snob instinct also wondered why this playwright who had previously had work produced at places like Second Stage and MTC, was having to resort to having a world premiere play produced by a theatre company I'd venture to say most people have never heard of (namely the "Working Theatre").
Okay, so maybe that theatre snob instinct needs to be lashed forty times with a wet noodle, or whatever your punishment of choice is, because by curiosity over seeing the new Aguirre-Sacasa play won out in the end (plus nothing better came along), and goodness gracious, I loved it. Like "Mystery Plays," "Dark Matters" and "Bloody Mary," this play takes a look at the more supernatural side of life. That the playwright works as a writer for Marvel Comics, comes as no surprise. According to a program note, this play was commissioned by California Shakespeare Theatre, and was the result of a combination of community service working with homeless gay, lesbian, transexual, or questioning youth in San Francisco, and the requirement that he use a Shakespeare play as a starting point (in this case, "A Midsummer Night's Dream"). And somehow he takes those two odd concepts and melds them into something that kind of reminded me of the work of Neil Gaiman. The play is a about a (female) grad student who is interviewing homeless young gay man in San Francisco, who claims he was stolen from his parents by The King of Shadows, and escaped from the King's realm into San Francisco. And now the King wants him back (cue ominous music). It sounds kind of corny, but I think it's a credit to both Mr. Aguirre-Sacasa, and the splendid cast and creative team, that everything works just beautifully, and even the most far fetched of situations somehow become believable and touching. I imagine the design budget wasn't very high (this is off-off Broadway after all), but I was really impressed by the simple but creative set design (two curving walls, out of which magically pop desks and couches and benches), and some really beautiful and eery lighting.
Chalk this one up high in the pleasant surprise category. This is one of those plays that I'm very excited to spread the good word about in all of those "What did you see last night" conversations. Have I got a recommendation for you....

On a separate note, for completions sake only, I should mention the last three Fringe shows I saw - Paper Dolls (meh), Be Brave Anna (ugh), and Thoroughly Stupid Things (quite good). I'm pretty sure all that Fringe-going added up to 30 productions (over the course of 31 performances - having seen "The Fabulous Kane Sisters" twice). I spent last week recovering from the marathon, and now hopefully things will pick up again post-Labor Day as the Fall season kicks into gear. The Fall season started on a high note with "The King of Shadows," let's hope things don't deteriorate too quickly now.

Oh, and this was apparently my 75th post. Weeee........