Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fringe Festival: Days 7-9

Long time, no Fringe update. But I'm back. And I haven't cut down on my Fringe going yet. Though I am going to cheat on the Festival twice next week - once for the second preview of "A Tale of Two Cities" and then later in the week for some or other else that I can't remember the name of.

Anyway...

THE FABULOUS KANE SISTERS IN 'BOX OFFICE POISON'. I went to see this a second time basically because I convinced my parents that they should see it (I don't think they'd forgiven me yet for the one I dragged them to last week) and I figured it couldn't hurt to go a second time. The show is still lives up to the "fabulous" of its title, though it wasn't quite as roll on the floor funny as the first time - partly I guess because I knew the jokes already, and partly because the audience wasn't quite as into it this time. My parents said they liked it, so I guess I'm in the clear now...

CREENA DEFOOUIE. (edit - 8/19/08) - An odd little show written by and starring a sister and brother team from the UK (she wrote the script and he wrote the music). I can't say I really liked it all that much, except for a couple of the scenes right at the end, which were admittedly quite funny. Apparently this has a bit of a cult following back in England, which I can certainly understand.

BOUND IN A NUTSHELL. This is Shakespeare's "Hamlet," re-set in a modern day prison, and hacked down to 90 minutes. This version of the play opens with Hamlet being interrogated for the murder of Polonius, and then later shows him in his cell, at the trial, and even talking to Ophelia, through a glass partition via phones. While I found the premise of the production interesting, I think it may be one of those ideas that worked better in theory than in practice. By cutting away so much of the play, the characters really felt very two-dimensional, and Hamlet especially just became increasingly annoying to the point where I was happy to see him finally die. The only character who really came to life for me was
Monique Vukovic's beautifully fragile Ophelia, and considering the role was really rather small, I think it was due more to Ms. Vukovic than anything else. I had heard a lot of good buzz on this show, which is why I went, but I just felt it to be really unsatisfying. Very disappointing.

UNTITLED MASTERPIECE. Once again, let down by buzz. I think I was doing better on instinct than listening to reviews. This is a series of unfunny sketches about a man who has just graduated from college and must face the real world, with the scenes styled after various genres of television show (sitcom, game show, talk show, etc). Really not at all funny. This felt like an overlong Saturday Night Live skit gone terribly wrong.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT SERPENT! I don't know what to say about this one. It's a series of fairly offensive sketches, with a bit of one, and all of another really making me crack up. I'm sort of embarrassed to admit what made me laugh at this show, considering it was all in such poor taste, but it was the rubber dildo (once again used to the best of its comic potential by a Fringe production), along with a naked (and I'm talking he's only wearing one sock, naked) fat man onstage for an extended period of time, that made me crack up. The rest just really made be cringe without laughing (offensive or disgusting, just for the sake of it). I mean, do I really need to see grown men chew some spaghetti in marinara sauce and then stand over one of their colleagues and drop it in his mouth? I'm kind of laughing as I type that, but at the time, I think I was watching it I was getting slightly nauseous. I will say the woman taking flash photography with her disposable camera through much of the show (I'm guessing one of the actors' mothers) seemed to be having a grand ol time.

TINY FEATS OF COWARDICE. A woman stands on stage and whines -both in speech and in song - for 90 minutes about how she's afraid of everything. The show sort of felt like the result of a therapy session. Like she told her shrink she had stage fright, so the shrink tells her to write and perform a musical to conquer her fear. Does this make for good therapy? Perhaps. Does it make for good theatre? Not likely. There was one moving section about 9-11, but that's about it for interesting stuff.

THE AMISH PROJECT. Fabulous. A solo, documentary style play, written and performed by Jessica Dickey, about the shooting at the Amish schoolhouse that occurred in October 2006. The piece is presented as if based on interviews with those involved, though considering there are sections spoken by the shooter who committed suicide, as well as one of the girls who was murdered, I'm guessing this was historical fiction. Not that that takes away from the power of the production at all. Really moving, and absolutely riveting. I was almost sorry to see it end, because I wanted to see more. If I have any criticism, it's that every now and then I would have trouble differentiating between characters. But that's a minor quibble, and I'm sure with more practice from a longer run, could be improved up. This is definitely worth seeing.

UNDERWEAR: A SPACE MUSICAL. Typical fluff Fringe musical. Not as consistently entertaining as "Perez Hilton..." or "Love is Dead," two of the other big Fringe musical comedies which I really enjoyed, though I'll say this one probably had the strongest score of the three. The musical is set in the future, and a girl from the planet Ohio named Dorothy comes to Earth to work at an underwear factory where the evil owner has started production of mind-control underwear. I can't say the story made all that much sense. Dorothy (called "Dottie" for short) falls in love with an underwear model named Andi, and I found the scenes about their relationship to be quite entertaining, while the scenes between the evil head of the company and her models or her servant robot to be far less interesting. Still, I left happy and humming, and especially at the Fringe Festival, one doesn't really need to ask much more from a musical.

That's it till tomorrow. Actually, it's now technically really early Sunday morning, so that's all until later today. Eek.