Thursday, September 24, 2009

Walking In "Memphis"

I went to the second preview of "Memphis" tonight, and I have to say I'm a bit troubled by it. I went in with zero expectations. A show by Joe DiPietro (All Shook Up, I Love You You're Perfect Now Change) and David Bryan (of Bon Jovi and Toxic Avenger: The Musical) with no stars, and no discernible buzz, at the huge Shubert Theatre was a bit of a head scratcher. But I was curious enough to go, and go I did. And it absolutely blew away my zero expectations. The score is fantastic. It's a wonderful collection of toe-tapping, humumumumable melodies, with only one or two that screamed out "cut me." I can't wait for the cast recording. It's the most accessible and entertaining score I've heard since Alan Menken's "Sister Act" (my favorite pick-me-up cast recording at the moment). And the performers are all absolutely wonderful. Chad Kimball seemed to be a bit of a one-trick-pony after his acclaimed performance as Milky White in the Into The Woods revival, and lousy performances in every else since. Well, he's finally broken out of playing the cutesy type here, and he's pretty darn good. Even better is Montego Glover, who deserves at least a Tony nomination for her performance. Oh and the set and the lighting and the (most of) the choreography? All stellar.
The problem is - and what make the show a heartbreaker - is that the story has a big black hole in the middle. I found myself thinking a little of Pal Joey, in that the main character Huey, isn't particularly likable. He's not a nasty person like Joey Evans. He certainly always means well. He's just a loser. The story of "Memphis" is that this white screw-up high school dropout who can't read, decides he wants to bring black music to white folk (treading in similar paths as Dreamgirls or Hairspray, I suppose, in the whole trying to integrate via music vein). Thanks to luck, obnoxiousness, and so leaps of logic the audience is expected to accept, he becomes the number one DJ in Memphis and falls in love with a black singer. Act one charts his rise to fame, and act two his downfall. The problem is that the audience really has no reason to root for him. And because we never really have any reason to root for him, we don't really care when things fall apart in the end.
He did nothing to earn his fame, so if it's taken away from him, so what? His girlfriend is really very sweet and likable, and we care about her and her inevitable broken heart to a certain extent, but it's not enough. Especially since the two frankly have absolutely no chemistry. So what ends up happening, especially in the second act, is that every time the cast starts to sing, the audience comes alive, and then when the songs stop and we have to listen to dialogue that moves this story along that we frankly don't care about, well... the thumbs switch from snapping to twiddling.
I mentioned above that I loved almost all the choreography. The one exception was the hopelessly cheesy dancing Sergio Trujillo came up with for the final song - the very worst place to let an audience down. It seemed like it was probably period inspired, but it to be it just seemed hopelessly dated and uninspired, and frankly very reminiscent of what he used in the finale of Jersey Boys. For Jersey Boys it worked. Here, not at all.
Memphis is such a frustrating show. I almost want to say I liked and recommend it despite its short comings, but the second act really has such problems, I'm torn. I'll be curious to see how this show ends up doing at the box office.