Sunday, July 6, 2008

Jeff, Hunter, Heidi, Susan and Larry ON BROADWAY

Tonight was the first Broadway preview of [title of show] and to say it was [tos]ome would be a gross understatement. The sort of outpouring of love bestowed upon (stars) Jeff, Hunter, Heidi, Susan and (keyboardist) Larry in this show tonight, was the sort of thing I've only ever seen before at final performances at particularly special musicals (think final performance of "Light in the Piazza" or Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff's final "Spring Awakening"). The [tossers] (those being the members of the cult of [title of show]) were definitely out en masse tonight, and from the huge extended ovation that greeted Larry as he walked on stage, to the rousing standing ovation at the final curtain call (the second standing o of the evening), well, it was an absolutely mesmerizing evening. Pity though, the uninitiated who came to the show thinking it was just a regular performance. The people sitting to my left, and sitting behind me, were extremely confused, and none to happy about all of the insane cheering that greeted each song and the especially funny lines (of which there are many).
The question on most peoples minds is whether the show will work on Broadway. And honestly, I can't have no idea. I am so completely in love with the show - and have been since I first saw it at it's return NYMF engagement at Ars Nova (having missed it the first time around), and through to twice at the Vineyard - well, I don't think I can very well be objective about the show. Will people who don't get the many many obscure theatre references enjoy the show? Will those who haven't seen every hilarious episode of "The [title of show] Show" on Youtube fully appreciate its brilliance? Well, I haven't a clue. Based on my mother's recommendation (not mine), my aunt and uncle have tickets to see it next week. I'm curious to hear their reaction, since they are not the obvious audience for the show, though they are the type of people necessary for this show to have any sort of run. I mean [tossers] alone can sustain a musical for only so long.
In case you're curious, the show seems to be maybe 2/3 the same as it was in its Vineyard run. Short new bridges have been added to a few of the songs, and others have been tweaked to reflect some of the newer Broadway offerings like "Shrek" and "The Little Mermaid." And of course, the show now reflects what's happened since the Vineyard run, referencing things like that run, and also "The [title of show] Show" and Heidi's run in "The Little Mermaid." It was interesting, having seen the show three times before, and having listened to the cd who knows how many more times, to see how songs and scenes were rearranged and rewritten for this incarnation.
That a quirky little show with only four actors, four chairs (and Larry), has made it to Broadway is amazing enough in itself. But that the show and its cast are so incredibly lovable, makes tonight's triumph - hopefully the first in many triumphant nights for this little show that could - ever so sweet. After "Nine People's Favorite Thing" - the show's final song, the audience gave a long standing ovation, the likes of which are usually reserved for royalty like Patti LuPone (doing "Rose's Turn") and Juan Diego Florez (in "La Fille du Regiment"). That four actors, with far fewer Broadway credits, playing themselves could elicit that sort of reaction from an audience was really something to see. And seeing them all fighting back tears up there, still having to get through the last few lines of the show, well, I think there was nary a dry eye in the house (except for, you know, the couple of confused people sitting around me).
I wish this show the best in it's Broadway run. I don't know that [title of show] will have a long commercial run (I've said that about shows before, and am often wrong - Xanadu, anyone? - so let's hope that's true here), but I know I'm already trying to figure out when I can see this again, and let's just hope nine people each night tell nine people to see this show, and let its devoted audience grow from there. As for tonight's premiere, bravo to all involved.